(Issued by the Dunellen Police Department)
In recent weeks, the Dunellen Borough community and several of its surrounding towns have fallen victim to a series of Motor Vehicle Thefts and Car Burglaries. While the Law Enforcement agencies work together to identify and prosecute those responsible, Dunellen Police are asking residents for assistance in ending the recent rash of crimes. Residents are strongly urged to follow the following safety guidelines:
• If available, always park your vehicle in a locked garage.
• Always lock the doors to your vehicle, even when you are away from the vehicle for a short time, NEVER leave an unattended vehicle running.
• Always leave vehicles fully secured, with windows up, doors locked and sunroofs closed, even when parked in your driveway.
• Remove all valuables from your vehicle. If you can’t take personal property with you, lock items in the trunk. Never leave any items of value in plain sight. This includes your purse or wallet, CDs, books, cash, keys, cell phone, iPod, laptop, garage door opener, gym bag, briefcase, jewelry, tools, packages, etc. If a thief breaks into your vehicle and steals your garage door opener and keys, they have access to your home.
• Do not leave ANY mail in your vehicle. These items have your name, address and possibly contain personal financial information.
• Many vehicles are broken into with the intent of stealing the vehicle itself.Visible anti-theft devices, like steering wheel locks, steering column collars,or brake pedal locks may discourage the would-be thief from breaking in and trying. Set any alarm or anti-theft device that is installed on your vehicle.
• Report any suspicious activity to Police IMMEDIATELY including any descriptions of person(s), or vehicles, but while keeping personal safety while doing so a priority. Keep at a safe distance and DO NOT engage the suspects.
Dunellen Police are working to end this plague on our community. Through concentrated efforts by the Patrol Division and diligent follow ups by the Detective Bureau, incidents are being responded to and investigated to the fullest extent. Several of these investigations have already led to the identification of suspects and filing of charges. While the Officers and Detectives continue to work, we ask that our residents join us in our efforts.
Should you have any questions, concerns or information, please contact Dunellen Police at 732-968-3000.